Monday 12 August 2013

Plywood Bookshelves

This was done sometime ago in Feb 2012 and I thought it would be a good one to start this blog off.

Unfinished bookshelf ready for varnishing!
I ordered the plywood from Ban Heng Leong Trading, had to cut it down to size ($1/cut) and delivered. They didn't help me bring it up to my apartment though :(



These two bookshelves were built with the shortcomings of the cheap bookshelves IKEA sells in mind. They each have a solid one piece plywood back (no warping) and the shelves are supported from the sides and the back by plywood strips that are screwed into the sides and back (no sagging shelves). The irregularities were then planned off and the entire thing was given 2 - 3 coats of varnish to finish it off.

Bookshelf 1. The varnish brought out the layered texture
of the plywood well - an unexpected aesthetic result :)


These 2 guys took me about 2 weeks to finish and cost less than $200 SGD (excluding tools).

No comments:

Post a Comment